After the Board receives your appeal, it will schedule your appeal into one of two streams. It will either be scheduled into the direct hearing stream or the standard stream. Streaming is based on the Chair’s Streaming Strategy (Word) / Chair’s Streaming Strategy (PDF).
Direct hearing stream
If your appeal falls into the direct to hearing stream, it will be scheduled directly to a full hearing. Appeals that are scheduled into this stream have already been through the Request for Reconsideration (RFR) process with MPAC.
If your appeal falls into the standard stream, it will usually follow a set plan of specific pre-hearing processes before a full hearing is scheduled. These appeals usually deal with more complex matters and high assessment values. These processes include setting out specific dates for the release of assessment data, preparing statements of issues and submitting other documents.
The standard stream means:
a. If the Board has not sent you notice of a first pre-hearing conference, you must send to the Board, a notice stating that you are ready for a pre-hearing. Your notice must confirm that:
- MPAC has released the assessment data requested
- You have served a Statement of Issues on all parties
- The other parties have served their respective Statement(s) of Response
b. If the Board has issued a notice of first pre-hearing conference, documents,evidence, and statements must be exchanged as follows:
- Within 60 days after the Board has issued a notice of first pre-hearing Conference, MPAC has released assessment data that may be requested without further Board order to the appellant
- Within 90 days after the receiving MPAC’s assessment data, the appellant must serve a Statement of Issues on the parties
- Within 90 days after the Statement of Issues has been served, the respondent(s) must serve their respective Statement(s) of Response on the appellant and all other respondents
For more details about the ARB’s streaming processes, please see:
- Rules of Practice and Procedure
- Direct Hearing Stream (Word)
- Direct Hearing Stream (PDF)
- Standard Stream (Word)
- Standard Stream (PDF)